Skip to main content

Career Advice: d00d, get a webpage!

The internet is a series of tubes where you should have a presence in order to promote yourself and your work.
Would you like to increase your profile in the astronomy academic community? Get a webpage. Seriously, if you are anywhere beyond your freshman year studying physics or astronomy with plans of staying in academia, there's no excuse for not having a web presence. Applying to grad school? Get a webpage. About to publish your first paper? Get a webpage and link the paper's arXiv listing.

Looking to live a life of anonymity and unemployment? Stay off the interwebs:

mahalo.ne.trash does not necessarily support the views of motivateyourself.wordpress.com. But the pictures make us giggle from time to time.
European astronomers, I'm looking right at you. Let's talk one-on-one for a sec. Why do European scientists eschew web presence? I loved your paper and I'd like to know what you look like so I can find you at the upcoming conference. Or I'd like to suggest you for our open postdoc position but I don't know your career stage. Or invite you for a talk and I need your bio. But I can't find you! This is not good for you. I'm sure you have a noble explanation for this phenomenon related to modesty or some such, but the end result is no one can see you or your outstanding work.

Okay, sorry about that. I had to talk to my European friends for a moment. Now that I'm back, here are the basic ingredients of a webpage:

  • A short, professional biography. Where'd you start your career and where'd you go after that? What are your research interests and how do you pursue them? Here's a really good example of a concise yet complete web bio by Selma de Mink, who I recently looked up after seeing her light up the Rumor Mill last year.
  • A photo. This is optional, I suppose, but handy if you like to meet people at conferences or around campus. Here's Phil Murihead's photo, which shows you what he looks like and provides some nice context of what he works on (instrumentation, Project Minerva). Also, note how he uses very simple HTML to good effect, providing everything you'd need to know about him: NIR and optical instrumentation, Kepler-42 and spectroscopy of M dwarfs. In a similar vein, here's Peter Plavchan's photo and straight-forward yet very effective web page. It's all right there up-front.
  • A statement of research interests. Here's Heather Knutson's very professional research page and research summaries. I like this style of general heading followed by a one-paragraph summary. The exercise of coming up with these summaries is handy for helping you remember what exactly you're doing, and just as importantly, how to communicate it concisely to others. Here's Julie Comerford's similarly professional web site, which inspired me to get my web act together 4 years ago.
  • If your personal web page contains one thing, make it your CV (but seriously, have more than one thing). Here's Andrew Youdin's CV which is on the long side, but in no way too long. Here's a shorter CV by Phil Hopkins (I'm sure he has a long version given that he publishes ~10 papers/year). And here's the CV of Sara Seager, a highly accomplished astronomer. We should all strive to have our CVs as long as impressive as Sara's! Note what these and other CVs have in common (contact info, educational history, research interests, list of publications and other academic activities). After you publish your first paper (even Nth author) you should create and post your first CV.
  • A list of publications. NASA ADS can hook you up with a personal library. Link to that library from your web page. Here's my personal library containing my first-author publications.
  • Your email address. There are ways of protecting your addy from teh evil bots. 
  • Optional: Nifty simulations! Check out Ben Brown's award-winning simulations of stellar magnetic fields. Full of awes.
  • Optional: You in the news. Did you discover Y dwarfs, like Mike Cushing? Of course you didn't (that is, unless you are Davy Kirkpatrick, who needs a better webpage :) ). But maybe you made the news in a similar fashion. Promote it!
Did I forget anything? Sound off in the comments and on the FaceTwitBlags.

Comments

Jeff said…
Don't forget to update your webpage occasionally, at the very least if you change positions/locations/discover Y dwarfs.

Popular posts from this blog

back-talk begins

me: "owen, come here. it's time to get a new diaper" him, sprinting down the hall with no pants on: "forget about it!" he's quoting benny the rabbit, a short-lived sesame street character who happens to be in his favorite "count with me" video. i'm turning my head, trying not to let him see me laugh, because his use and tone with the phrase are so spot-on.

The Long Con

Hiding in Plain Sight ESPN has a series of sports documentaries called 30 For 30. One of my favorites is called Broke  which is about how professional athletes often make tens of millions of dollars in their careers yet retire with nothing. One of the major "leaks" turns out to be con artists, who lure athletes into elaborate real estate schemes or business ventures. This naturally raises the question: In a tightly-knit social structure that is a sports team, how can con artists operate so effectively and extensively? The answer is quite simple: very few people taken in by con artists ever tell anyone what happened. Thus, con artists can operate out in the open with little fear of consequences because they are shielded by the collective silence of their victims. I can empathize with this. I've lost money in two different con schemes. One was when I was in college, and I received a phone call that I had won an all-expenses-paid trip to the Bahamas. All I needed to d

Reader Feedback: Whither Kanake in (white) Astronomy?

Watching the way that the debate about the TMT has come into our field has angered and saddened me so much. Outward blatant racism and then deflecting and defending. I don't want to post this because I am a chicken and fairly vulnerable given my status as a postdoc (Editor's note: How sad is it that our young astronomers feel afraid to speak out on this issue? This should make clear the power dynamics at play in this debate) .  But I thought the number crunching I did might be useful for those on the fence. I wanted to see how badly astronomy itself is failing Native Hawaiians. I'm not trying to get into all of the racist infrastructure that has created an underclass on Hawaii, but if we are going to argue about "well it wasn't astronomers who did it," we should be able to back that assertion with numbers. Having tried to do so, well I think the argument has no standing. At all.  Based on my research, it looks like there are about 1400 jobs in Hawaii r