Skip to main content

Finding the Next Earth: On TV!


Back in March last year I was contacted by a very interesting person named Dana Berry. The funny thing is that I almost deleted the email before reading it because it was from an AOL email address (AOL?!). Fortunately I got over my email prejudices (have you accepted Gmail into your heart yet?) and opened the message, which read:
Hello Dr. Johnson,

I am producing a show for the National Geographic Channel about the hunt for the next planet Earth as it involves the Kepler and Corot missions, and the plans to characterize these new found worlds with missions like JWST, the upcoming TMT telescope, etc.  We are already in post production, but had sought to get a "pick up" interview with Geoff Marcy.  Alas, he is unavailable.  This was a disappointment since Marcy is so extraordinarily good on camera.

But, Marcy highly recommends you as a potential replacement.  Would you be interested in doing an interview about the follow up to Kepler, and to JWST?  If so, are you available some time in the next day or two to chat on the phone?  

So I wrote back, set up a phone meeting, and we agreed to shoot a piece on or near the Caltech campus a month later in April.

The shoot was supposed to last from 2pm-4pm, maybe as late as 5pm, Dana assured me. Well, we ended up having a grand time moving the camera around Cahill from one interesting shot to the next. By the time we wrapped up it was 10:30pm!

Fortunately, we had my industrious and faithful undergrad researcher, Kirit Karkare, on hand to help out. While they filmed the pieces with me talking while sitting in the Galex control room across the hall from my office (complete with a full space mission control center as a backdrop), Kirit set up the undergrad (Ay105) lab downstairs in the basement. The idea was to show me working in "my lab," but my lab was still in its infancy at the time, with optical components still in their original packaging.

Kirit set up a simple  spectrometer with a light source and a few optics components. While we were showing Dana how the spectrometer works, we accidentally shone the refracted light onto the wall behind us. Dana jumped up and said something like, "Yes, go with that. That's what we need!"

Dana also got excited when I showed him a few Powerpoint slides illustrating how a spectrometer works and showing a false-color echellogram with a spectrum of the Sun (Vesta, actually). He instantly gained my respect when he told the cameraman, "That, that right there is all of astronomy. We like looking at the pictures, but all of the hard science is in spectra! We gotta shoot John pointing at spectral features!" Let me tell you: Dana Berry is a director who really get's it!

Well, I had no idea what would come of our 9-hour day. Would all of that footage end up on the cutting room floor, so to speak? Then, we got word that the show would be on NatGeo (formally the National Geographic Channel) in December. Erin, the boys and I got the popcorn ready and held our own little screening party. "THAT'S DADDY!" yelled Owen. "That's daddy?" asked Marcus. Liz and Lindsay called and exclaimed, "OMG, I can't believe you are in my living room on my TV right now. You sound SO smart!"

If you get to see a rerun, my first appearance is pretty early in, and I get the second segment when they're talking about "super Earths" with molten lava surfaces. From there, they feature my friends and colleagues, including Natalie Batalha, Sara Seager, Oded Aharonson, Francois Fressin and others. There's also an entire segment on my academic grandfather Steve Vogt. It was a HUGE honor to appear on screen with these much more established and accomplished astronomers!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A view from your shut down

The Daily Dish has been posting reader emails reporting on their " view from the shutdown ." If you think this doesn't affect you, or if you know all too well how bad this is, take a look at the growing collection of poignant stories. No one is in this alone except for the nutjobs in the House. I decided to email Andrew with my own view. I plan to send a similar letter to my congressperson. Dear Andrew, I am a professor of astronomy at the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics (CfA). The CfA houses one of the largest, if not the largest collection of PhD astronomers in the United States, with over 300 professional astronomers and roughly 100 doctoral and predoctoral students on a small campus a few blocks west of Harvard Yard. Under the umbrella of the CfA are about 20 Harvard astronomy professors, and 50 tenure-track Smithsonian researchers. A large fraction of the latter are civil servants currently on furlough and unable to come to work. In total, 147 FTEs

back-talk begins

me: "owen, come here. it's time to get a new diaper" him, sprinting down the hall with no pants on: "forget about it!" he's quoting benny the rabbit, a short-lived sesame street character who happens to be in his favorite "count with me" video. i'm turning my head, trying not to let him see me laugh, because his use and tone with the phrase are so spot-on.

The Long Con

Hiding in Plain Sight ESPN has a series of sports documentaries called 30 For 30. One of my favorites is called Broke  which is about how professional athletes often make tens of millions of dollars in their careers yet retire with nothing. One of the major "leaks" turns out to be con artists, who lure athletes into elaborate real estate schemes or business ventures. This naturally raises the question: In a tightly-knit social structure that is a sports team, how can con artists operate so effectively and extensively? The answer is quite simple: very few people taken in by con artists ever tell anyone what happened. Thus, con artists can operate out in the open with little fear of consequences because they are shielded by the collective silence of their victims. I can empathize with this. I've lost money in two different con schemes. One was when I was in college, and I received a phone call that I had won an all-expenses-paid trip to the Bahamas. All I needed to d