the oh-so-quiet-one of a year ago has not stopped talking for two weeks. he's providing an ongoing commentary for everything from dialogue about going to the bathroom to spotting a race-car on the road. Needless to say, he's cracking us all up in the process. a few examples:
* last week, i'd made salmon with balsamic glaze, mashed potatoes and roasted asparagus, cauliflower & Brussels sprouts. once his hands were washed, Marcus raced to the table, climbed into his chair and smelled out the prospects. he quickly declared: "I thought you were making something delicious for me". wow, if the boy only knew how good he has it!
* in the last two days, he's gone from sleeping in the crib with a sippy-cup of milk at bedtime, to sleeping in a big-boy bed, and having water or nothing to drink. he's shed a few tears, but declared today, "I'm not a baby anymore, I'm a big-boy with my big bed and my monkey"
* "I don't want you to say that to me" shoulders slouched and bottom lip out, ANY time he's corrected.
*Upon my departure at pre-school dropoff he advised, "Don't cry Mommy, I'll be right here with my friends when you come back"
* Perhaps one needs to witness it in person to understand... but just imagine, little curly-haired rascal, chiming in when his older brother is corrected by parental unit. When Owen returned to the dinner table after his consequence for a not-so-fine moment of bashing the butternut squash risotto, Marcus blurts out, "You need to go back to your room Owie!"
* This morning, to my utter delight, Mar commented "You look just like a princess, Mommy". What a way to start a week, eh?